June 19, 2008

Dominica update...

Thar She Blows...
I have seriously been slacking in the Dominica department of late, REALLY late actually, so I decided I would do a little bit of an update. In all honesty, there was not alot of newsworthy updates to talk about. Except...whaling...

Dominica will not back a measure by Japan to reverse a worldwide commercial whaling ban that is being challenged at a IWC meeting that will begin next week in Chile. In an interview with Caribbean Net News, Roosevelt Skerrit, Prime Minister of Dominica stated that, "Our stringent environmental practices and philosophies have earned us the label, ‘The Nature Island’ and, upon careful review and deliberation of the issue, it has been determined that voting for an overturn of the existing worldwide ban on commercial whaling would be inconsistent with the standards and principles of sustainability that we so fervently advocate.”

Its a good thing too, as Dominica is known as the Whale Watching Capital of the Caribbean (among others) and has around a 95% success rate on seeing whales on whale watching excursions, which I have heard are fantastic. I only know of ones that originate from the Roseau area, hopefully when I return in the next couple of months I will embark on one of these trips. Any readers out there been on a whale watching trip? Pictures? Send them along!

Cheers

No comments: