June 1, 2008

Joey Mod Completion!

Yesterday I started what is called a "Joey Mod" on Calie (my car) and so I woke up today bound and determined to get this modification done! So after baking the parts so that I could get into the reflector, I masked off the silver reflector (this is what projects the light out in front) and the orange turn signal lens.

The next step was to buff the chrome plated plastic so that the primer and paint would get good adhesion to the plastic. After this was three coats of primer and four coats of satin black








I decided to bake the paint for about 6 minutes at 170 degrees F so that it had a good setting period and hopefully good adhesion! Doesn't it look tasty?








Here is the semi-completed product. All the tape is removed and I think it looks pretty good. Time to get those clear lenses back on!








Here is the completed project, minus the car. Total time...about six hours and total cost was about $7...not to shabby if I do say so myself. My finger tips though, hurt like heck after peeling and sticking countless pieces of tap to get the mask job just right! Its worth it though...








And here are the lights back in the car...wahoo! Looks good to me! What do you think?

No comments: