April 18, 2008

Colorful Friday

Waxy Delights
Work is sort of slow today, just preparing for the big Wii Olympics night over at K&A Wags, so I was just wasting time on the Internet. Headed over to GreenDaily and found an article that brought me flying back to my childhood...CRAYONS! I was never much on the whole coloring book thing, I preferred to use my crayons for other purposes, namely candles.

Making candles was number five on the list which included:

1.) Make a bigger crayon
2.) Sealing Envelops
3.) Paint using Mineral spirits
4.) Furniture repair
5.) Create new candles from scratch

Head over to the link and check out all the details, but I will say this, their candle making process was a little bit more "hi-end" than what I used to do. I would fire up the old gas grill to melt the old crayons that I had thrown into a pop can I had cut in half, or in technical terms, my 'crucible.' I would then melt the crayons on the grill then used spent shotgun casings as my candle molds. Poured the hot liquid in, placed a cotton string as the wick, and bam, redneck candles. Ah the days. Just a word of caution, if you ever drop a can full of liquid wax, it WILL NOT come out of ANYTHING, including cement. Don't say I never warned you!
Cheers!

No comments: