April 5, 2008

Mini Fat Saturdays

Its that time of year here in "The Rouge" that signals the start of the 5k racing season and with it comes the annual return of the Fat Boy 5k. I have been here in "The Rouge" for nearly a year, but unfortunately I arrived a couple of weeks to later for the 2007 running of the Fat Boy 5k. This is not your standard 5k, well distance wise it is, but not in terms of the typical running crowd. The motto for this race is....large and in charge.

The prized categories for this race are not the overall male and female winners (like most races) but the fat boy categories...Clydesdale, Super Clydesdale, and ultra Clydesdale divisions. These are based on the entrants weight before the race and the fastest one in gets the top prize. Also, the team category is a top prize getter. Team must weight in at 650 pounds (295 kg) and the fastest combined time wins. Great race, atmosphere, and people, by far one of the funnest races I have ever been a part of.

I had a good feeling for the race when I woke up today...cool temperatures and clear air courtesy of a late night rain. The only problem was a light upset stomach, mostly nerves though. Ran an ok first mile, right on the time I should ideally be at, but then was out classed by the first runner in the second mile. I ended up finishing third and in my opinion, a disappointing performance. But the performance did not hamper the good times and good companionship of the Varsity Sports group I joined up with. Overall a fun race, disappointingly performance...

Mini Zac
I have been looking for a new car for awhile as the old G-Am was starting to get some age on her. 106,000 and a few nickels and dimes were starting to float out of the pocket for her. I had test drove a MINI a couple of weeks back and it was down to either a Saturn Astra and the Mini Cooper. As you can see...I chose MINI.

I had my eye on my favorite color of MINI but it was an 05 Cooper S with only a tad amount of warranty left. This was a big turning point as I wanted to awesome BMW warranty, but didn't want to shell out the money for the extended warranty. For the same amount as the 05 with an extended warranty I was able to pick up my Chili Red MINI Cooper. It no S, so no supercharger, but I'm more for the mpg and fun than speed. MINI's aren't known for speed, but for their agility anyways. I'm excited and hopefully on Monday I can report that I am the "official" owner of MINI Zac.

KU - UNC Final Four game is tonight...heading over to K&A Wags for the big game. Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU baby.

Our Father, who art in Lawrence,
Hallowed be thy Game.
Thy tourney come,
Thy championship will be done,
In San Antonio as it is in Allen Field House.
Give us this day our deserved victories.
And forgive us our turnovers,
As we forgive Roy who double-crossed against us.
And lead us not into defeat,
But deliver us from East Coast bias,
For Kansas is the basketball kingdom,
And the tradition,
And the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.

No comments: