February 9, 2008

Soccer Saturdays

I slept almost 13 hours last night and I am finally starting to feel like myself again. Hopefully this will be the last time I get sick for awhile. To make sure, I disinfected the apartment this morning. I normally don't like to use "antibacterial" products but felt that I should make an exception this time. Plus its GORGEOUS here in "The Rouge" which is exciting!

I knowing nothing about Dominica soccer, heck I can not even name a single player that hails from the island. I do know that many are part of the European soccer scene but that’s about the extent to what I know. I had a great world cup experience on the island in 2006 which was one of the great memories I have of Dominica. So why soccer today? Dominica played host to Barbados in a world cup qualifier at Windsor Park Stadium. They drew a 1-1 tie which was hailed as a small victory against the higher ranked Barbados team. Steve from Steve’s Dominica Blog had some great pictures from the game. More can be seen here.

Dominica Refinery
The tourism industry has released and official statement in regards to the proposed Venezuelan oil refinery. It echo’s much of what has already been said in regards to the image that Dominica wants to present to the world. If you put an oil refinery on the island how can you be honest in marketing yourself as the “Nature Island of the Caribbean?” Since nearly all of the money that comes to Dominica in the form of tourism is based on the “Nature Island” concept and the product that is derived from that, the refinery will surely have an impact. We can hope that whoever is doing the EIS for the island will find that it harms outweigh the benefits to the island, but it probably won’t happen. It took several public outcries about the oil storage facility before the government was able to produce the EIS that was supposed to have been done. Does anyone know who is doing the EIS for the oil refinery? Any place we can get a copy of the one done for the oil storage facility?
Cheers!

No comments: