March 3, 2008

Jaded Olympics and the Vladinator

Summer Olympic Medals
This summer, as many of you know, the world will converge on China for a couple of weeks of intense competition of endurance, strength, grace, and a little bit of luck. I am stoked for this years Olympics with my hopes riding high for the distance events for the U.S. We should be sending a strong delegation, aimed at winning multiple medals in several events in which we have suffered as of late. *cough* 1500 meters anyone? we're not here to discuss how well we will do as a team at the Olympics, but about the bling that we will be bringing home.

This years medals will have inlays of traditional Chinese jade, and I find the design of the medals very striking. I am impressed with the intricate details of a modern Olympic medal that keeps with several Chinese traditions. Each medal will have an inlay of gem quality jade on the reverse side of the medal. The world renowned jade has just been finished being carved and will be sent to the Shanghai mint where the medals will be cast in June. White jade will be used in the gold medals, a light white-green jade for the silver, and a solid green for the bronze.

Overall a very striking look for what will hopefully be a great Olympics, better than the Torino donuts of 2 years ago. BUT if I were good enough, which I'm not, to have a shot of winning a medal, it could look like a lump of coal, I'd still sing the Star and Stripes and wear it around my neck!

P3: Rise of the Putin
I know I know, Putin is no longer going to be the President of Russia, but I just had to say my piece on the elections of this past weekend. Vladimir Putins hand picked successor to the Russian presidency, Dmitri Medvedev, won in a landslide. And, just like a village below a landslide, there was no chance of Russia escaping a Medvedev victory.

Medvedev should have won easily with all of the media he was able to grab. Its not like the state run media favorably gave Medvedez preferential treatment or anything. I give Putin credit for pulling Russia out of the doldrums when the Ruble was worth about as much as toilet paper. Bolstered by rising energy prices and smart economic management (aka government strong-arming) Russia is now reemerging from its shadow of the super power it once was and becoming a big time power in world politics. Hopefully Medvedev will work on ties with the West and when he takes term, he will embrace Obama (I know, getting hopeful here) as a friend and set many wrongs that have been had between our two great nations!
Dasvidania

No comments: