March 8, 2008

"Save the Ta Ta's"

One of those Races
To explain, the title of this post is of a sign I saw today as I was warming up for "The Rouge's" Race for the Cure. In typical Louisiana style, the atmosphere surrounding this race and event was like a pink Mardi Gras parade created to stomp out breast cancer. This gentleman who's wife (according to his shirt) had survived a battle with breast cancer and he was holding a sign with some "questionable" depictions of breasts with the saying "Save the Ta Ta's" on it. I did the usual double take and busted out laughing! I give him and his wife props for using humor to break through the shell that can surround tragedies...so "Save the Ta Ta's!"

The event held a survivors walk and a 5K run, which I decided sort of spur of the moment to run. I was just going to use this as another workout on my week and not register, but at the last minute changed my mind. Boy was I glad I did. I had a good race (for me) and it was a good 5K race to boot.

I started the race well and was in second most of the race until Sam Mapes (a rather good older gentleman here in "The Rouge") passed me at around mile two. I stayed on his pace about 5 feet behind him for a couple of minutes. We caught the lead runner and at this point I was about to just say "Zac, settle for second" cause I was hurting good. But about that time Sam gave a grunt, (a noise at least) and I knew that he was hurting more than I was at that point. So, in a "Saving the Ta Ta's" surge, I pulled even with Sam and held it till the end. Came across at around 17:30, which was a new road pr for me. I've run 15:50 before, but that was in XC back in the day (HS). So it was a good race, though I know that the big guns of "The Rouge" did not show up for this race, but a win is still a win.

Oh, did I mention that it was in the 30's (F) when this race started and there was a dusting of snow on the cars when I woke up? Snow...in "The Rouge"...in March? I think Al Gore was lying, wheres the global warming? :-P (just wait till summer, I'll take that last comment back!)
Have a good rest of the weekend

No comments: