March 16, 2008

Voodoo Selection Sunday Hex

Arena Football Experience
A few years back there was this horrible experiment here in America to have a summer professional level football league...the XFL. This was supposed to help hold over football fans till the NFL starts back up and also bridge the gap with those fans of 'professional' wrestling, like the WWF. Fortunately this "Xtreme," though the X officially did not stand extreme, league did not last more than one season, as it had dismal TV ratings and poor attendance.

There is a little known league that has been going steady now for 22 years and I think is the fix, or at least help hold over those who need some good football action: Arena Football. I attended my first game this weekend where the New Orleans Voodoo played the Tampa Bay Storm. I love the rules, the pace of the game and the high scoring that goes on. You realize that a 21 point lead is really nothing in this league and can evaporate in the matter of seconds! Tampa Bay committed 8 turnovers and the voodoo capitalized on many of these. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend catching a game. if your in New Orleans in July, Arena Bowl 22 comes to town. Good times

Big XII Champions and a #1 Seed
While I was watching the Voodoo play this weekend, my other team of the day was playing in the Big XII tournament championship game against the Texas Longhorns. This match up is quickly becoming a great rivalry and from the recaps, this game did not disappoint either. KU hit a ridiculous amount of 3-pointers and had steady defense down the stretch to hold of the Longhorns and win their third consecutive Big XII Tournament title.

The win, in my opinion, helped lock KU into the Midwest regions #1 seed for the upcoming NCAA Tournament, aka, March Madness! They open against Portland State, and I'm really hoping that Bucknel Bison Fever doesn't hit Portland State. I have no worries, just minor concerns! I just hope that they keep up their mojo long enough to make it to at least the Elite 8. If they make it that far, I hope there is a showdown in the Final Four versus UNC, sweet redemption could be had, oh what a day that would be!
Cheers!

No comments: