April 25, 2008

Seriously?

Cash Costs More
I read this today and could not pass up the opportunity to talk about how fee based corporate America has become. Sure 10 cents here, or a dollar there for "service fee's" or whatever they get called may not seem a lot, but stop and think back to how much nickel and diming goes on. And then add to it the fact that you have no way of avoiding or opting out of these service fee's. So I bring to you exhibit A on another reason why this society has become backwards and out of touch.

If you have never read the Red Tape Chronicles on msnbc.com or never read "Gotcha Capatilism" by Bob Sullivan, then your blood pressure is probably close to normal. If you have, well you know how angry you can become at such STUPID ideas. Early this year AT&T started to charge customers a $2 US fee to pay their bill in person and with cash. The fee is about to go up to $5 soon. An AT&T service rep was quoted as saying,

"It is a way of saving money ... it helps us keep our costs lower," said AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel. "We want our associates to spend their time helping customers as they are thinking about their wireless plans or looking at phones."

Personally I read this as "our customer service sucks, so we have to beg people to start up new contracts with us because we are loosing customers on a daily business because of our poor business model."

Anyways...AT&T should not take the brunt of this argument, as they are just following along with a policy that the American consumer has allowed to happen. In our 'convenience' driven age, real people have been replaced with automated tellers that ask us to say yes or press 1. When you want to speak with a person, that will probably cost you extra, or you will not be able to understand them as the company you are wanting to talk to has outsourced their call centers. I recently came across this when I opened a new credit card with Bank ___. This was after a bit of trouble with my number getting stolen from a local eatery here in "The Rouge."

I got it sorted out and had the new credit card in my possession and as soon as I got it had signed up for paperless statements and it showed up with all of my other bank accounts that I have. I loved it, a one stop shop for all of my financial needs, until it was time for the first statement. As a "security measure" they, Bank ___, removes your account from your online bank view and you have to go through a verification stage. I followed all the steps and was told that I would be allowed to have access to my online credit card portal in 8-10 business days. What? Seriously, 8-10 days in an electronic banking world? Are you kidding me? I was worried that I would get a late fee for not paying the card off in time as I had no clue when the due date and billing cycle officially ended, so I contacted Bank ___ directly to pay the bill. I got everything squared away and was ready to pay off the bill and the polite woman on the phone state that there was a 'convenience fee' of $15 to pay the bill. I had to ask the her to repeat that amount to take payment over the phone. I politely declined and hung up. Seriously $15 to pay MY bill off?

Why are fee's so prevalent? How can we opt out? What options, do we as consumers and customers have when faced with these unwarranted charges? Its enough to make you scream...but its perfect for businesses. What better way to get more money than by charging customers for the right to do business with them...love it!

Day and Night for $300,000? WTF?
So, the tax rebate checks will soon be coming out and I have just the perfect gift you can get to help stimulate the economy! Ok, so you'll need your check and 500 of your closest friends, but who's counting right? So for $300,000 US you and your 500 closest friends can buy a watch...that does not tell time. Thats right...instead you will know perfectly well when its night and day.

The Day & Night watch by Swiss watchmaker Romain Jerome sold out in just 48 hours after its launch. Chief Executive Yvan Arpa told Reuters,

"Why do people buy expensive watches? To have a trophy. A watch (costing) $9 gives the time as well as a watch at $500,000, so they really buy a trophy."

A trophy for what? Being a pompous rich snob? A trophy for 'making it' in the world? To show that you have more money than you need? Going to far am I? Clearly my propensity towards meagerness and being happy with what I have is clearly not the right frame of mind one would have to purchase and wear such a watch. Granted the design is amazing, but for $300,000 you could have me around and I'll remind you when its night and day, though I will be honest, I probably would not look as good on your arm as that watch does...:-D
Cheers

No comments: