May 24, 2008

Airplanes, Sand, Sunsets!

National Naval Aviation Museum
In the year that I have been down on the Gulf, not once have I actually been to the Gulf. Crazy I know...So that is why RAC and I packed up Calie and headed east to Florida for the day. Nice LONG day of driving, sightseeing, relaxing and driving some more.

We headed to Pensacola, Florida because they had the free National Naval Air History Museum and I highly recommend. Its a great way to spend a day learning about some of our greatest aircraft the Navy ever flew. The exhibits are well laid out, easy to read, informative and inspiring. My favorite exhibit was an exhibit depicting two submerged aircraft that were retrieved from the bottom of Lake Michigan and resorted back to their former glory. Lake Michigan was the site of a training station where new naval aviators honed their skills landing on aircraft carriers. Many planes went down at the hands of these inexperience pilots. Very interesting and I would love to go back and finish up reading about some of the planes that I missed. I had to get to the beach!

Sunset at the beach








Sand Dunes at Sunset...yes they are sand dunes, and not snow :-D

No comments: